A deeper dive into the Wi-Fi Update with additional instructions
If you have been unsuccessful in updating the Wi-Fi Module firmware using the steps outlined here. Please try these additional steps to get your RR and R2 Light updated.
Before contacting support, please have these answers ready.
Question 1: What firmware and bootloader is currently installed on the fixture? Current firmware versions can be found here.
- Select Config Menu.
- Press left arrow 3 times until Firmware screen is displayed
- The enter button cycles through the firmware that is installed on the fixture
Question 2: Are able to put the fixture into update mode? In update mode the status LEDs will flash blue and the display screen will show Insert USB.
- Press the left arrow once from the firmware screen to get instructions on how to enter update mode
- Alternatively the user can press the power button once to turn off the fixture and then hold the enter button while powering the fixture back up.
- When the fixture is in update mode the Wi-Fi module is acting as an access point and broadcasting the name of the Wi-Fi network the fixture is creating
Question 3: While in Update mode, does the user see the Wi-Fi SSID the fixture is broadcasting and can the user join this network?
- Using another device the user should see the Wi-Fi network being broadcast. The network will start with QS:XXXXXXXX and have a series of 8 letters and numbers in it.
- If the user sees the Wi-Fi network they should join it with their device. The password is 1234567890
Question 4: Can the user log on to the fixture over Wi-Fi? The default IP address of a fixture needing an initial Wi-Fi update is 192.168.0.1
- On the other device that has logged onto the Wi-Fi network broadcast by the quasar fixture open an internet browser. (Quasar Science recommends using Firefox or Brave)
- In the navigation bar of the browser type in the IP address of the fixture. 192.168.0.1
- A login page for the Quasar Science fixture will appear if successful. The user name and password are admin/admin
Question 5: What is the IP address of the Quasar Science fixture broadcasting the Wi-Fi network?
- On the other device connected to the Wi-Fi network open Command Prompt in windows or Terminal in Mac.
- on the command line type: arp -a
This will list the ip addresses of all devices on all network interfaces of the PC. The user can then send a ping command to the fixture by typing ping followed by the ip address of the fixture.
- Once the user has the correct ip address of the quasar fixture they should attempt to log into it over wifi again by launching a browser and typing the ip address into the navigatipn bar.
If the IP address of the fixture is 192.168.0.1 the user name and password is: admin/admin
If the IP address of the fixture is 192.168.4.1 the user name and password is: