The CRMX chip in our Double Rainbow and Rainbow 2 fixtures allows for Manual control via a fixture-to-fixture Wireless link
Lead/Follow Mode allows one R2 or RR fixture to control many. When you make one light into a Lead unit — it becomes a wired or wireless Manual Mode controller that will control any additional fixtures linked as Follow units. Specifically, the Lead unit becomes the master controller for intensity, color and effects of Follow units.
To create dynamic effects across multiple linked units the Follow feature has selectable slots from 1 to 9. These slots run the same effects, intensities and levels as the Lead unit. Follow 1 matches the Lead Unit directly, while Follow 2 through 9 progressively offset effect timings across the 9 sets of linked units.
To set up the Lead/Follow feature, navigate to Config Menu / Lead/Follow, and follow these steps (pun intended):
1. In your chosen Lead R2/RR unit that will be the master controller:
- Set this fixture's mode to Lead.
- The Data status LED will turn solid green to confirm your light as the Lead unit.
Follow units can only be linked to a single Lead unit at a time. You cannot have multiple Lead units controlling the same Follow units. So don't try it or you will be very very sad.
2. In each of your Follow R2/RR units, set their 'Lead/Follow' mode to your desired Follow #:
- Follow 1 will match the Lead Unit's effect timing. This will auto select on the follow fixture when connected to a Lead unit.
- Follow 2-9 progressively offsets effect timing from Lead unit. (i.e. if you want to run a rainbow effect across all fixtures rather than have them mirror the Lead.)
3. For wired linking:
- Connect your Lead unit to the first desired Follow unit in the signal chain using a Cat5 or Cat6 cable. One cable end should go in the Lead Unit’s LAN 2/DMX OUT port, and the other end should go in the Follow Unit’s LAN 1/DMX IN port.
- Connect your Follow units together from that first follow unit in similar fashion.
- On the Follow units, the Data status LED will turn Cyan to confirm your light as a Follow unit.
4. For wireless linking:
- On the Lead and Follow units, navigate to Config Menu / Wireless Mode, set this to Wireless DMX.
- If the Wireless status LED quickly flashes green on your Follow units, press and hold their Link button to un-pair the Follow unit from searching for a prior Lead Unit.
- On the Lead unit, tap the Link button to send the pairing signal. The Lead unit Wireless Status LED will start flashing. The Follow unit(s) Wireless Status LED will flash in unison.
- On the Follow unit(s), the Data status LED will turn Cyan to confirm your light active as a Follow unit.
- The Wireless status LED on ALL Lead & Follow units will turn Magenta to indicate your units are (Lead) transmitting or (Follow) receiving Wireless Lead/Follow Data.
Firmware 0.7B - Once your Leader RR or R2 is set to Lead and Wireless DMX mode, any additional RR/R2 lights that you set to Wireless DMX mode, you only have to tap the Link button on the Lead and all your fixtures will auto-connect as Follow 1 without having to turn on Follow mode first.
5. Your Lead unit's manual on-board controls will now directly control all linked Follow Units!